Travel Guide for vacations - Jamaica
For Tourists looking to spend their vacations at Jamica follwing informatiom will be helpful :
- Airport Description
- Sangster International Airport, Norman Manley International.
- Best Time to Visit
- For tourists December 15 - April 14, winter is the best and most popular vacation time to visit.
- Resort Areas
- Montego Bay, Negril, Falmouth, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, Kingston, Spanish Town, and Mandeville.
- Bank Information
- Banking hours: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm Monday to Thursday; 9:00 am - 12:00 pm, and then 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm Friday.
ATM Available No
Currency Jamaican Dollar.
Departure Taxes $28.00 U.S
- Drinking Water
- All drinking water in Jamaica is purified and filtered by modern methods. Bottled water is available.
- Duty Free Shopping
- Duty free is available in the airport, U.S. citizens can return with goods up to the value of $150, including 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars,2 litre of spirits,2 litres of wine.
- Jamaica, about 235 km (146 mi) long and 82 km (51 mi) at its widest point, is bisected by highlands, bending east and west, that cover 80% of the island. The highest elevations are in the Blue Mountains to the east. The coastal plains are widest and most arid to the south. Most of the soil of the island, particularly in the central section, contains a high percentage of limestone, making cultivation difficult. Rainwater does not remain near the surface but percolates through the limestone soil to unusable depths. The island has few large rivers; only the Black River is navigable. The mean annual temperature is about 27° C (80° F) on the coast. Annual rainfall averages 1,955 mm (77 in), but it reaches 5,080 mm (200 in) in some mountainous regions. Jamaica has a great diversity of vegetation, although many areas have been cleared for agriculture. The climate is tropical all year, temperate in mountain areas, it may tend to get a little cooler in the evenings. The rainy months are May and October, but showers may occur at any time. A pleasnt weather with sea beach and luxury hotel rooms make it one of the best places for vacations.
- 110 volts AC, 50Hz, single phase.
- There is no casino gambling in Jamaica, although a number of resorts have game rooms with slot machines. The only legal betting is on horse racing at Caymanas Park Race Track in Kingston.
- No vaccinations are required for tourists to enter the country unless, in the last 6 weeks, you have visited: Asia, Africa, Central & South America, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Trinidad or Tobago.
- Official language is English.
- Location Description
- Jamaica, a nation in the West Indies, occupies the third largest island in the Caribbean Sea. Located south of Cuba and west of Hispaniola, Jamaica is slightly larger than the island of Hawaii. Kingston is its capital.
- Proof of Citizenship
- Valid U.S. passport, or state issued birth certificate with raised seal and photo ID backup.
- Golf Courses - Montego Bay
- The Half Moon Golf Course is a Par-72 championship course designed in 1961 by renowned course architect, Robert Trent Jones. Sculpted from the foothills of the western Jamaican coastline, the course has an international reputation for being challenging and beautiful. A member of Jack Nicklaus's "Great Golf Resorts of the World," Half Moon has hosted a number of prestigious tournaments. With four tee markers on every hole, scratch golfers and beginners will find an enjoyable challenge as they tackle Robert Trent Jones's design and the ever-present trade winds. The Half Moon Club also offers a full service Golf Shop and the David Leadbetter Golf Academy. You cam mix your vacations with leisure sports of Golf.
- The Ocean Course at Wyndham Rose Hall is renowned for its imaginative layout and historic site, with a bedeviling Par 4 8th hole only 322 yds from the rear tees, but ominously close to the Caribbean along its left-hand side. This challenging, recently renovated 18-hole Par 72 course stretches to 6,590 yards, with breathtaking views of Jamaica's Blue Mountains and the Caribbean Sea.
- The White Witch Golf Course winds through the mountains of Jamaica's historic 4,000 acre Rose Hall Plantation, along 200 acres of lush greenery and rolling countryside, with panoramic views of the ocean, mountains and island. Located at The Ritz-Carlton Rose Hall, this 6,800-yard 18 hole Robert von Hagge design is set along 1,500 feet of beachfront, with multiple tee locations and dramatic elevation changes.
- Tryall Golf Course is a 6,221-yard, Par 72 course widely considered among the finest in the Caribbean. Tryall attracts the game's leading players and prestigious international events, like the Johnnie Walker World Championships, Mazda Champions, Jamaica Classic and Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. Designed by Ralph Plummer, the course's sculpted fairways and manicured greens meander through forest-green hills, between stands of coconut palms and fruit trees, round lily-padded ponds, down to a one-and-a-half mile long shoreline.
- Ironshore is an 18-hole, Par 72 course noted for a challenging layout with a number of intriguing blind holes and a total of 6,633 yards. This is a links-type course, with well-bunkered greens requiring accuracy and steely-nerved approaches.
- Negril Hills is an 18-hole, par-72 course measuring 6,333 yards, with gently undulating fairways, elevated tees and greens, picturesque water hazards and lush vegetation. Located in the lush green hills high above the white beaches of Negril, this sporty course offers the challenging topography and natural beauty that characterizes the great golf courses of the world. A tennis court, restaurant, pro-shop and club house are all on the property.
- Runaway Bay
- The Superclubs Breezes Runaway Bay Course is a Par 72, 18-hole championship course offering an exhilarating experience for beginners and accomplished golfers alike. Designed by Commander John Harris, the course was opened in 1960 and features sand bunkers, long rolling fairways, and large flat greens protected by grassy mounds. The host of many championship events, the course measures 5,389 yards and is slope rated 117 from the forward trees. From the back it measures 6,870 yards and is slope rated 124. The course is well trapped, protecting it from certain errand shots and wind gusts of up to 35 mph. Guests of the resort receive unlimited greens fees and complimentary entrance to the on-site golf school.
- Ocho Rios
- Sandals Golf & Country Club is an 18 hole, Par 71 course with a total of 6,311 yards, located two miles from Ocho Rios,amidst verdant hills 700 feet above sea level. This is one of Jamaica's most scenic courses, noted for majestic trees, rolling fairways, constant breezes, a plantation clubhouse and a 10th hole offering a spectacular view of the Caribbean.
- Dress Description
- Lightweight tropical clothing is best suited throughout the year. On the beaches shorts and swimwear are acceptable. A light sweater is suggested for evening, especially in the winter months. Some hotels require casual evening wear for women and a jacket for men when dining. Laundering and dry cleaning facilities are available.
- Rental Car Information
- To rent a vehicle, the driver must be 25 years of age. A valid drivers license, valid for 12 months, may be used for up to a 3 month period. The driver must post a bond to meet insurance regulations with cash, major credit card, or travelers checks. Rentals are available from many different companies.
- Time Zone
- Eastern Standard Time/No Daylight Savings
- Tipping & Taxes
- Hotels have a service charge of 10-15%, the same amount is generally accepted at restaurants.
- Wedding Requirement
- Original or certified copies of birth certificates. If either party is divorced, original or certified copies of divorce papers. If either party is widowed, original or certified copies of spouse's death certificate. Couple must be in Jamaica for 48 hrs.
- Weather Conditions
- Jamaica's average annual temperature is 80°F / 27°C. The average yearly temperature range is between 78°F and 85°F. Extreme temperatures range from a low of 65°F to a high of 95°F.
Home | Room Views | Rates | Book Online | Norma's Restaurant | Beach & Pool | Picture Gallery | About Us | Our Staff | Policy | About Jamaica | Enviromental Policy | Contact Us | Site Map
All © Rights Reserved 2012-2013 Sea Splash